Number of questions

Mark Carbonaro mark.carbonaro at IT.ALSTOM.COM.AU
Thu Mar 11 08:16:00 GMT 2004

I can only really help with one of these.

c) Try Mailwatch for MailScanner (http://mailwatch.sourceforge.net/) it
provides all kinds of use stats, reports etc.

Cheers,
Mark

-----Original Message-----
Of Mathias Koerber
Sent: Thursday, 11 March 2004 5:22 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Number of questions

Upfront: Sorry is these are answered elsewhere. I looked through the
FAQ-O-Matic, but
ithas too many items simply called 'New Item' to be useful for searching...
unless I really don't understand it's workings..

I have a few question regarding MailScanner and its setup:

a) there seem to be only a few was to handle viruses:
        deliver
        do not deliver

   Notifications to an admin are handled separately

   SPAM on the other hand has a multitude of dispositions
   deliver, drop, forward etc

   however, there does not seem to be any way to send a notification
   of SPAM received to the user and/or admin and separately handle the
   spam itself in a different fashion.

Could these options not be aligned such that for either SPAM or VIRUSES one
can separately decide on
        delivery
                - to the recipient
                - to one or more central collection addresses

        quarantine
                - which directory
                - in configurable fashion (full, Q-file, only attachments)

        notification about the fact
                - to a central admin address
                - to the recipients
                - to the sender

b) rules

Most configration options which also can be rule-sets only seem to take
yes/no. It would be nice to  have the above dispositions all available in
rules, so one can better fine-tune the configuration

But also, most rules only allow From: and To: as conditions.
I would like to be able to combine them (thanks for *and* btw), so that I
can decide the disposition based on
        Envelope From:
        Envelope To:
        IP address the mail was received on
        Type/name of virus or SPAM
        type/name of attachment

The last would be especially nice in the filename/filetype rules, so that I
cn decide to allow some filetypes, send notifications on others while
silently dropping the rest. And handle these wven differently if th mail
came form my internal IP address (regardless of sender/recipient names)
etc..

If any of the above is possible I would appreciate pointers.

c) Is there a any reporting tool for MailScanner which allows me to
   generate reports based on MailScanner's activity? I know and use
   mailscanner-mrtg, but I am more interested in some real reports
   which could include breakdowns by virus types, domains, recipients
   etc?

thanks
mathias

Mathias Körber
Director Technical Services
Lightspeed Technologies
mathias at lightspeed.com.sg

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient,please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.