greylisting

Dan Hollis spamtrap71892316634 at ANIME.NET
Thu Mar 11 01:13:11 GMT 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Kourosh wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 16:26, William Burns wrote:
> > Wow. That's a really useful link. I'm going to think about setting it up.
> > But... I've got 3 mail servers for my domain, w/ balanced MX records so
> > unless there's a shared database between the machines, it'll end up
> > giving out up to 3 tempfails for a single triplet. (and a shared
> > database might be a single-point-of-failure in an environment where
> > redundancy is key)
> Set up a read-only LDAP server on each machine with each LDAP server
> getting updates from a central read/write LDAP server.

greylisting will only work until these criminals start writing proxies
which spool and retry on the victim's machines.

if greylisting starts getting deployed on any scale, you can bet they will
just start deploying spooling backdoors/viruses.

-Dan