Exes within Zips

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Wed Mar 10 13:55:00 GMT 2004

[snip]
>>How can I now
>>
>>1. allow non-password-protected zip archives through
>>AND
>>2. allow them to carry .exe and other executable files
>>AND
>>3. have them scanned for viruses
>>AND
>>4. and block password-protected zip files?
>
>Set
>
>Allow Password-Protected Archives = no
>Maximum Archive Depth = 0
>
>Sorry, that should have been in MailScanner.conf. I must have lost an
>update somewhere along the line.
>--
>Julian Field

Julian

Thanks for that prompt reponse. Your 4-28-6.1 MailScanner.conf file does
not say how to achieve the above combination of effects but is does add
a line preceding the "Maximum Archive Depth = 3" line that says "To
disable this feature set this to 0".

However I have little experience with zip archives so it is not clear to
me what the consequences are (good and bad) of setting this option to 0.
However I have found out via the school of hard knocks what leaving it
at 3 does!

Thanks again

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.