Exes within Zips

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Wed Mar 10 13:19:21 GMT 2004

[snip - a user asked]
>>What's my best way around this?  For now I've simply asked
>the recipient to
>>ask the sender to rename the .zip file .tar or .lzh or .arj.
>
>How about they rename it to _zip instead of .zip.
>--
>Julian Field

Julian

We have spent 2 years educating our users and their correspondents to
zip up executable/dangerous files before attaching them to a message.

They are pretty unhappy with what has happended after my upgrade to
4-28-6.1.

How can I now

1. allow non-password-protected zip archives through
AND
2. allow them to carry .exe and other executable files
AND
3. have them scanned for viruses
AND
4. and block password-protected zip files?

Thanks

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.
"Any opinion expressed above is mine. The University can get its own."