Debugging SA timeouts

Rick Cooper rcooper at DWFORD.COM
Wed Mar 10 10:32:14 GMT 2004

Change to the home dir of the user that runs SA in your MS config
su to that user (you don't *have* to run as the normal SA user
but it will wack out your bayes tests if you don't)

spamassassin -D -p
/opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --lint &> sa.rpt

Look in the sa.rpt. I would be looking for the rbl, razor
timeouts and so forth

If all looks well switch get a copy of an email and, and also as
the user that normally runs SA

spamassassin -D -p /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
< EMAILFILENAME &> sa.rpt

and look at the output. It will give you line by line out of what
SA is doing and what the results are. I recently lowered my razor
timeout because they were getting a bit flakey now and then and
razor, dcc, pyzor and rbl time outs in spam.assassin.prefs.conf
should all be around 5 (especially if you are running a caching
name service)