install.sh

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Wed Mar 10 00:01:51 GMT 2004

> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 05:21:40PM +0000, David Lee wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>>> Only exists in the rpm distribution, correct?
>>> (just checking my sanity ... 8-] )
>> I think so, at the moment.
>> But I rewrote it a few weeks ago to be portable (potentially at
>> least) to
>> other systems, and used that to upgrade our own Solaris installations.
>> It is (I hope) somewhere on Julian's TO-DO list, but the recent
>> zip/virus
>> things have, naturally and rightly, had to take higher priority
>> recently.
>> (And when Julian does get around to it, it will probably need further
>> tidying from its current "proof of concept" state.)

So, what exactly does install.sh do?

I tend to shove mailscanner into /opt/mailscanner-$VERSION and work on
it there until I'm ready to put it into production.  When that's ready,
I remove the symlink "/opt/mailscanner" and point it at the new version
(so I keep the old one around so I can fall back to it if there's a
problem).

I do NOT disable the /etc/init.d/sendmail and /etc/rc?.d/???sendmail
scripts, I just have them invoke the 2 sendmails.  I also don't use any
form of MailScanner rc script (though, if it would stick to only
starting and killing mailscanner, I might start using it).

If install.sh doesn't give me the option to do things that way, without
modifying the script, then I would be unlikely to use it at all.  Which
means I wouldn't want it to be mandatory, either (which seems to be the
impression I'm getting about the install.sh script for the rpm
distribution, because a lot of answers start out "run the install.sh
script").