Upgrade problem

Chris Connell chris at ISSOLUTIONS.CO.UK
Tue Mar 9 22:46:39 GMT 2004

Hello
I was wandering if someone could give me some advice to troubleshoot a
strange problem I had when upgrading mailscanner on solaris9 with gcc.

I upgraded 4.25-14 to 4.6-2. I installed the extra Archive-Zip-1.09 and
Compress-Zlib-1.33 perl modules required.  These installed ok except
Compress Zlib.pm and auto installed in
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris so I had to copy it to ../
for mailscanner to read it (as it looks in the lib directory below).

I noticed something strange after the upgrade in that the mqueue.in dir was
growing and mailscanner stopped scanning files. There was a core file in
there that keeps going in there when it is restarted.

It would keep saying in the log

Mar  9 20:32:12 ns1 MailScanner[12089]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner
version 4.28.6 starting...
Mar  9 20:32:12 ns1 MailScanner[12023]: New Batch: Scanning 105 messages,
311433 bytes
Mar  9 20:32:17 ns1 MailScanner[12073]: Using locktype = flock
Mar  9 20:32:23 ns1 MailScanner[12041]: New Batch: Scanning 105 messages,
311433 bytes

And keep growing but not deliver any messages with attachments. I tried
switching off the virus scanning, and also turned off spamassassin - made no
difference.

One of the upgrade steps must have broken my whole installation as it still
did not work when I reverted back to the old version of mailscanner ( I have
a link called soft link in opt called MailScanner and change it to the
appropriate version I want to run) , therefore Ive had to restore all of
/usr and /opt as Im not sure what caused it.

If anyone has any idea what might have caused this please let me know.

Thanks
Chris

This communication is from IS Solutions Plc, Windmill House, 91-93 Windmill
Road, Sunbury on Thames, Middlesex, England. This email (including any
attachments) is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. It may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, distribute, copy or otherwise use this
communication or the information in it. Any views or opinions expressed in
this email may be solely those of the author and are not necessarily those
of IS Solutions Plc. Any pricing quoted in this email is offered to the
recipient on a best estimate time and materials basis only. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us by email
(helpdesk at issolutions.co.uk) or by telephone (+44 (0)1932 893444) and then
delete the email and any copies of it.