Sophos thinks multi-part spanning zips are viruses

James Corell jcorell at IPRUS.NET
Tue Mar 9 19:52:07 GMT 2004

Has anyone seen this error?

>>> BEGIN

The original attachment to this e-mail message (BACKUP.ZIP) contained a
virus
and has been removed.

   Tue Mar  9 14:17:14 2004 the virus scanner said:
   Sophos: Could not check BACKUP.ZIP/TURBO.MDB (part of multi volume
archive)
   Sophos: Could not check BACKUP.ZIP (part of multi volume archive)

>>> END

Is this something Sophos needs to address, or is there something MailScanner
can do about it? I'd like to let my customers pass these kinds of zips
through the server, while leaving normal virus scanning intact.

Maybe Julian knows: Does Sophos pass back only one kind of error code, or
does MailScanner assume any error code from a scanner is a detected virus?
Are error codes used at all or is STDERR text used instead?

James Corell
E-P-C-S
111 West Mitchell, Suite E
Gaylord, MI 49735