Download rate

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Sun Mar 7 04:59:03 GMT 2004

>Bleeding edge?  To what I understand, it is not as much bleeding edge than what would have been RH 9.1 or RH 10.
>
>I started using mailscanner on rh9, on a test server. It was a pentium Pro 200, 64 MB RAM, so when I finally got a better machine (PII 233), i decided to install fedora to avoid the upgrade.  RH 9's support ends in april.  I'd rather have a machine with more recent packages (less tested) than not being able to path security holes easily.
>
>(Some people run MailScanner on Red Hat 7.3) http://lwn.net/Articles/62875/
>http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/

This was my way of thinking too, which is why i asked after being
advised against it.

>IIRC, fedora's support is supposed to be (reasonably) unlimited (for security fixes).
>

>Production machine,
>23:20:10  up 22 days,  6:28,  2 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.40, 0.45
>
>Up since install.  Very stable.  I don't have a high volume though (200 messages/day).
>
>The only glitch since I use mailscanner was last weeks's Redhat perl rpm upgrade.  But I know it affected RH9 as well.
>
>Some other people use fedora on servers with significant volume.

Perl upgrade? I dont use any up2date type services, bit scared of
upgrade occurring automatically that break things. I only upgrade
componants when i specifically find i have a need to - which is probably
bad practise, so official support/patch frequency hasnt, so far, been a
very important factor for us.

>New users?  I only cover the 3 domains of our company.  Mailscanner is only a gateway, no local accounts.  It forwards mail to my Exchange server.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Ugo

we too have 3 domains and our machine is only a gateway, forwarding to
Domino.
thanks for your response and opinions.
Pete