Server Spec for MailScanner

Marco Obaid marco at MUW.EDU
Sat Mar 6 23:36:30 GMT 2004

Quoting Pete <pete at eatathome.com.au>:

> For 6k - 9k emails per day, running Clamav and etrust would something
> like a Proliant ML370 2 x P3 800/1GB RAM and scsi HDD running either
> suse or red hat 9 (my FreeBSd skills are not sufficient for this yet) be
> enough horsepower?

You should be fine for that load. 6k - 9k messags is a light load.
I would get more RAM if I were you. It is cheap and DOES make a difference.

 Alternately our vendor has a single Ml310 P2.8 /1GB
> Ram and scsi. will mailScanner benefit more from dual CPU or faster CPU
> considering the load i described above? Or would I be better off spend
> more on RAM? 1 GB seems like plenty of RAM to me, but then again i
> havent processed 9k emails before, and some of you have, so hopefully
> some one could advised on which hardware will benefit MS more?

Get more RAM, if you can !!!

> Additionally we may have access to an additional scanner license - would
> i be better off running 3 x virus scanners, clam, etrust and
> sophos/f-prot, or just run 2, clam and sophos/f-prot, especially
> considering my hardware limitations?

With 3 scanners, you are entering the paranoia stage :)
Clam AV and another commrecial scanner should be fine.
Don't forget that MailScanner is a scanner as well ...

> Is there a massive difference in hardware requirement between processing
> 6k or 9k emails per day?

Are you considering turning on SpamAssassin and RBL checks?

Good luck
Marco