F-prot update

Dan Hollis spamtrap71892316634 at ANIME.NET
Sat Mar 6 13:01:48 GMT 2004

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Julian Field wrote:
> The problem is that the virus writers can produced a hundred different
> strings every day. You have to start using an engine like SpamAssassin to
> try to find them, wherever you can have hundreds of rules and give each
> word a probability of being the password. Big problem.

You can't get them all, so why bother getting any?

An awfully fatalistic approach to filtering abuse. If everyone took this
attitude toward filtering, there wouldnt be any spamassassin or mcafee or
kapersky or clamav.

Rather than being preoccupied with what hypothetical "might happen" tomorrow
and giving up immediately before even starting -- why not focus on what we
_can_ catch, right now, today, this very instant, that would generate
positive results stemming the _current_ avalanche of abuse?

Or am I the only one who sees benefits in effort to mitigate _current_
abuse?

-Dan