Upgrading mailscanner

Randal, Phil prandal at HEREFORDSHIRE.GOV.UK
Fri Mar 5 11:17:30 GMT 2004

> Install the new version in a directory that is numbered with
> the version,
> eg. /opt/MailScanner-4.27-14 or whatever. Copy over all your
> old reports to
> the new one, with the exception of languages.conf which you
> will have to
> diff the old one against the new one.
>
> Use upgrade_MailScanner_conf to upgrade the MailScanner.conf
> file. Copy
> over most of the rest of the files.
>
> Sorry it is such a manual job. :-(
> I need to do some work on this when I get a chance.
> --
> Julian Field

Julian,

MailScanner is one of the easiest bits of software to upgrade.

upgrade_mailscanner_conf kindly tells us which files may need manual
attention.

When I upgraded to 4.28.5 from 4.28.4 the following files needed manual
attention

  /etc/MailScanner/reports/en/languages.conf
  /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomConfig.pm

A quick invocation of "diff" finds what's changed and makes the update easy.

Cheers,

Phil