Upgrading Mailscanner

Justin JLM939 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 5 09:09:59 GMT 2004

> Boulytchev, Vasiliy <mailto:vboulytchev at COINFOTECH.COM> wrote:
>> Ladies and Gents,
>>       I see that MailScanner is installed , via rpm -qa | grep
>> mailscanner. The RPM that is in the system is mailscanner-4.24-5.
>> Certainly I am weary of just running your install.sh scripts.  All I
>> want to do is upgrade to the new version...  What is the default step
>> of doing so..... I see the noarch rpm included, nowever I would like
>> to hear from you.
>
> Why are you "weary" of it... it's one of the best I've ever seen for Unix.
> It checks to make sure all your Perl modules are in order before upgrading
> the RPM for you.  Once the install is complete you can run the
> "upgrade_MailScanner_conf" script to finish everything off by upgrading your
> configuration file.

Cut the guy a break. I'm pretty sure he meant "wary" and not "weary."

And he is right to be wary of such things, particularly if it's not
precisely clear what the install script is going to do.

It may be fine to just blindly run it in MailScanner's case, but not always
so with every install.sh script you come across. He was probably just trying
to be prudent.