Still not sure I understand proper use of Bayes

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Thu Mar 4 23:50:31 GMT 2004

"Michael St. Laurent" wrote:

> I've only been moving things into the "ham" folder that were incorrectly
> marked as spam.  Is there something I'm not understanding about how this is
> supposed to work?

Ham is not just "things that were marked as spam but shouldn't have
been".  Ham is "all things that are not spam".

When you're doing on-going adjustments (correcting mistakes), just
sending it your new "false positives" (as you indicated) is ok.  But for
the initial training, what you really ought to do is find a folder of
yours, from various sources, on various subjects, that are all messages
you consider to be "definitely not spam".  Submit those messages as
ham.  The more the better (though, I think SA has a functional maximum
before it starts to forget earlier submissions, but I'm not sure if
that's based upon age of submissions or number of sumissions).