F-Prot

Andy Sutton newslists at PESSIMISTS.NET
Thu Mar 4 19:39:35 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 13:59, Rodney Green wrote:
> Hello. Which version of F-Prot are people using with MailScanner? Are
> you using the version specified for Linux mail servers or are you using
> the Linux workstation version?
>
> Thanks,
> Rod

This is my "conversation with F-Prot on this very issue about a month
ago:

I am thinking of using the command line scanner of your antivirus
product with the program Mailscanner (www.mailscanner.info). What is
your license policy for this, as your product will only be scanning
files and not interacting with the mail process?

F-Prot's response:

Dear Andy.

Thank you for your mail and your interest in our software.

In this case you would require a Mail Server license.

A File Server license is suitable for file sharing (e.g., Samba),
application, print, web and FTP servers, i.e., computers that provide
network services other than mail services.  However, if the computer
provides mail services, e.g. is an in-coming or out-going mail server,
then a Mail Server license would be required.

A Mail Server license is suitable for mail servers, for either in-coming
or out-going mail, protecting the users against e-mail viruses and
worms.  The Mail Server version is licensed per user. We refer to a user
as each physical user that F-Prot Antivirus will protect in one way or
another against virus transmission via e-mail. The license fee applies
to users across different domains.

For price information on F-Prot Antivirus for Linux/F-Prot Antivirus for
BSD please access the following links or contact us again for a price
quote:

http://www.f-prot.com/products/prices/price_unix_ms.html

I have included a part of our end user license agreement here below that
refers to the scope of each Linux/BSD license type:

1.3. F-Prot Antivirus for Linux/BSD Mail Servers version: License
applies only to mail servers, mail relays and mail gateways, i.e.,
computers that provide mail services to a network, for either
in-coming or out-going e-mail.

1.4. F-Prot Antivirus for Linux/BSD File Servers version: License
applies only to file, print and application servers, i.e., computers
that provide network services other than mail services.

1.5. F-Prot Antivirus for Linux/BSD Workstations version: License
applies only to one single workstation and any files stored
locally. If the workstation provides network services then a File
Server or Mail Server license is required.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further
information.

Best regards,
Kristin Hardardottir
F-Prot Antivirus Sales Department

sales at f-prot.com
http://www.f-prot.com
Tel: +354-540-7400
Fax: +354-540-7401

Frisk Software International
Postholf 7180
IS-127 Reykjavik
Iceland

Andy

"I figure if I survive this thing... I can just about do anything I
want.  If I don't survive, I don't have to pay taxes anymore.  So it's a
win-win situation."  Brian Walker, Project RUSH - X Prize Competitor