DOS attacked :(

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Thu Mar 4 01:09:37 GMT 2004

Kevin Spicer wrote:

>Is update_virus_scanners running? If for some reason a scanner update
>hangs MailScanner will stop processing mail.  If this is the case please
>post which scanner is the problem so that timeout code can be added to
>its wrapper script.
>
>Is Spamassasin trying to use pyzor?  Make sure its not if it isn't
>working properly.
>
>Maybe turn SA off for a while to catch up?  Or just turn off all SA's
>network checks.
>
>Maybe the bayes database is causing a problem, try turning off bayes
>(turn off the bayes auto rebuild in MailScanner too if your version has
>it).

First thing i did was turn off bayes.
Yes virus update scaner is running, although i did see some deferred for
600secs messages, but recently i did see it had updated. I have only
updated tpo clamavmodule this morning, previously was just clamav.
I have already added Use_pyzor 0 since i couldnt get it to work (is it a
matter of install and then restart MS?)
I turned did skip rbls and this made a huge difference in reducing the
queue size. I have now turned them back on.
I have the leatest stable release, and now i have turned off auto
rebuild too.

Seems like the queue gets reduced, then something becomes broken again
and then queue grows and this repeats - have had never had a message
stuck before, not even one - today there were 120, this went down to 40
when i made the changes suggested above, then sa timeouts and back up 100.

I dont really want to turn off SA, I want to stop spam. SO i will
persevere for the rest of the day trying to get this workiing again.
Thanks for your help.