Whitelisting

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Wed Mar 3 19:11:58 GMT 2004

At 12:24 PM 3/3/2004, Craig Daters wrote:
>Where is it better to whitelist people/mail-lists/etc.? In:
>
>/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf, or in
>/etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.whitelist.rules
>
>Is there a line of thought as to why I might want to in one versus
>the other? Does MailScanner prefer one over the other?

It is SIGNIFICANTLY better to use spam.whitelist.rules.

SA's whitelist features are, by definition, a hack. It's nearly always
preferable to whitelist in a higher layer than spamassassin.

Unless your MTA inserts a copy of the envelope recipient into the message
headers, SA will not be able to effectively whitelist any CCed messages. SA
doesn't get a copy of the envelope, so without hints, it doesn't know the
true recipient.

Also, if you use any spam lists at the MailScanner level, the whitelist
will only be effective if it's in spam.whitelist.rules.