Speed problems

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 16:46:25 GMT 2004

I have been trying to reproduce the loss of speed running various different
versions on the same mail messages in debug mode.
Unsuccessfully :-(
I have used versions from 4.23 onwards. All appear to run at the same
speed. I am using a "reasonable" configuration with 1 RBL check and F-Prot.
The only thing is I am not running SpamAssassin, as its speed is very
variable and so hides the real speed of the underlying process.

If you are suffering speed problems, please can you tell me what was the
last fast version you used, and what was the first slow version. Did you
downgrade again to fix the problem? Was it successful, and what version was
again nice and fast?

If you run a batch through in Debug mode does it always take the same time
regardless of what version you are running? Maybe the problem only surfaces
when running lots of child processes?

The better I can narrow down exactly when the problem occurred, the better
chance I have of finding it. It doesn't appear to be in the more robust
MIME code I implemented, that doesn't make any difference.

Please can you help me folks?
--
Julian Field