What is this Eudora security hole attack?

Craig Daters craig at WESTPRESS.COM
Wed Mar 3 15:55:38 GMT 2004

>If you click on an exe in Eudora it will pop up a box telling you
>executing this file could be dangerous but, on some versions,
>if you click on a shortcut (.lnk) to the same exe attachment it
>will run it without warning. And shortcuts can be quite dangerous
>because they execute another file such as, say format C: or the
>shortcut
>points to "c:\windows\commands\deltree.exe /Y c:\"

Thank you, that explains it. And "thank you" to everyone else that
gave their input. All the information submitted was helpful.

>I would look at the size of the attachments and the
>tools->accounts-advanced
>tab and see if it's set to breakup messages over xxx bytes (seems
>like the
>default is like 2mg)

[- snip -]

>There lucky they get through, I do not allow multi-part messages
>because they cannot be scanned for viruses or content... bad
>mojo.

Yes, I agree it is bad mojo. I bet this feature was implemented to
try and overcome the filesize limit imposed by some ISP regarding
file attachments. I think file attachments are bad anyway, and never
pass up an opportunity to try and sell FTP to someone.

Craig Daters (craig at westpress.com)
Systems Administrator
West Press Printing
1663 West Grant Road