What is this Eudora security hole attack?

Craig Daters craig at WESTPRESS.COM
Wed Mar 3 14:23:02 GMT 2004

I have a co-worker who is expecting some files via file attachment
for a job she is working on. When her client sends them to her, the
files are being stripped out and she is receiving 'Bad Content'
removed messages from MailScanner.

The files that are being stripped out are *.lnk files. What are
these? These should be MS Word or MS Publisher files. When I release
these messages, they show up as folder shortcuts on a MS system, and
useless files on a Macintosh. It is entirely possible that her client
does not know how to send these files (though I may get the argument
that 'they have always gotten files to us before and not had any
problems'. You know what argument I'm talking about<grin>?)

And while we're on the subject. Since I have installed MailScanner, I
have noticed that a couple co-workers now have mail showing up that
is split into multi-part messages. (ie. upwards of 16 different
parts) What causes this to happen? The file attachments associated
with these messages are typically un-usable, and the co-worker calls
the client to figure something else out instead (like using the file
transfer system we built into our website). And I notice that this is
typically only MS stuff that I have problems with.

Why does Microsoft have to suck so much? (That's a rhetorical question....)

Craig Daters (craig at westpress.com)
Systems Administrator
West Press Printing
1663 West Grant Road