ANNOUNCE: Unstable 4.28.2 released

Richard Lynch rich at MAIL.WVNET.EDU
Wed Mar 3 02:05:10 GMT 2004

Julian Field wrote:

> At 12:45 02/03/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Also, If I change the above to 0 will that disable filename/type
>> checking inside the archives?
>

> I think so, yes. If 0 doesn't disable it, then -1 certainly will.

I tried setting Maximum Archive Depth = 0 (as well as -1) and the
internal zip file checking was not disabled.  The results were that all
files including simple text messages received the warning...

 >Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
 >Warning: (the entire message).
 >Warning: Please read the "VirusWarning.txt" attachment(s) for more
information.

 >This is a message from the WVNET MailScanner E-Mail Virus Protection
Service
 >The original e-mail attachment "the entire message"
 >was scanned by our antivirus software and determined to be
 >infected.  It has been replaced by this warning message.
 >
 >At Tue Mar  2 16:39:24 2004 the virus scanner said:
 >   Files hidden in very deeply nested archive

I understand that this is beta code --I just wanted to report it.
Ideally, we would like to disallow password protected zip files as well
as disable the filename/type checking of normal zip files.

--
Richard E. Lynch <rich at mail.wvnet.edu>
Systems Programming Manager