FreeBSD 5.x

Wed Mar 3 00:43:59 GMT 2004

At 11:17 AM 3/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey folks.
>Are there any issues with running MailScanner+ClamAV+SpamAssassin (etc)
>on FreeBSD? Anything I should take into consideration before starting
>the install?
>Will I lose a lot of performance going with something such as Fedora?
>RHES isn't an option unfortunately.

We run 3 FreeBSD boxes, two are 4.9 and one is stil 4.8.  Two of them are
2x2.8G Xeon w/1GB RAM and 36GB U320 SCSI drive, the other is a 2xP3-1.6G
w/1GB RAM and 18GB SCSI.  We run
SA+Bayes+backhair/popcorn/evillist/ with exim 4.x
using MySQL as the back-end for relay list validation.  softupdates is
turned  on, and noatime is set on each filesystem in
/etc/fstab.  /etc/sysctl.conf has several tweaks for high volume stuff.

We process about 720,000 messages a day with this configuration.  We are
adding a 4th machine this week as the machines are starting to lag behind
during very busy times of the day.

Mike Bacher / mike at
SparkLogic Development / ISP Consulting
Use OptiGold ISP? Check out OptiSkin!