Clam AV

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Tue Mar 2 21:32:20 GMT 2004

Spicer, Kevin wrote:

>Drew Marshall wrote:
>

>>I also don't
>>use the MS update scripts, preferring my own cron jobs spaced at
>>different hourly times so that if MS is called while an update is
>>happening the other scanner will still work and to attempt to ensure
>>that one scanner should catch updates no matter which half of the
>>hour they are posted.
>>

>The mailscanner update script *update_virus_scanners) creates a lock file which makes MailScanner wait for the scanner updates to complete before continuing with scanning, this should be safer than your method.
>

>>should I also run Clam (Which was updated quite quickly
>>yesterday, no promise that it wil be in the future but...) or is 3 AV
>>products over kill.
>>

>I now use Sophos, Clam and Symantec - Having seem the varience in update times the more the merrier is my angle.
>

>>The box it's on is not that big so will Clam use
>>huge amounts of system to run?
>>

>Not huge (nothing like the load of Spamassassin).
>

>BMRB International
>http://www.bmrb.co.uk
>+44 (0)20 8566 5000
>This message (and any attachment) is intended only for the
>recipient and may contain confidential and/or privileged
>material.  If you have received this in error, please contact the
>sender and delete this message immediately.  Disclosure, copying
>or other action taken in respect of this email or in
>reliance on it is prohibited.  BMRB International Limited
>accepts no liability in relation to any personal emails, or
>content of any email which does not directly relate to our
>business.

Web have 3 layers of AV. Firstly firewall does a lot of filetype
filtering then 1=Clamav on MailScanners, 2=SAV on Domino MailGateway,
3=NAV on Domino home servers, 4=Etrust on Workstations, 5=Were using NAV
on File servers - but are switching to 'havent decided yet' shortly.

Note - we find NAV almost completely worthless, especially compared to
etrust, which is fairluy good, but none we within 12 hours (and over 24
on one occaision) of clamav in providing updates for the last 3 or 4
large outbreaks. I would think clamav is essential on the mailscanner
machine.