SMTP vs. POP3 Scanning

Tue Mar 2 10:37:43 GMT 2004

Yes I always install a virus scanner on the desaktop. Viruses travel not
just by email, but IRC,ICQ, html downloads.

Securing the incoming email is just part of the solution, not the whole.

Mind you given the lax way most of commercial scanners updated the
Netsky-D varient it would't have me much anyhow...

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Matt wrote:
> When a new virus comes out it could be hours before a signature is available
> for the virus scanner and in that time it could slip into many mailboxes.
> When it does get in the virus scanner database it does nothing for the mail
> already in mailboxes.  Many users only check there email once a day if that.
> Would it not be an added benefit to scan at the POP3 phase as well as SMTP?
>
> Just a thought and sorry if this has been covered before.  I have got emails
> from a user before that had his virus scanner catch viruses mine missed.  I
> tell all users they should still keep there virus scanners up to date.  But
> as well as ClamAV + MS has worked for us many don't.
>
> Matt

the system manager.