Mailscanner dying of old age

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Tue Mar 2 05:39:03 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 04:14 pm, Vinayakam Murugan wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are using Mailscanner along with Sendmail 8.12
>
> There are a lot of entries in our log which states that Mailscanner dying
> of old age. Is this a symptom of a deeper problem or a problem by itself?
> :-)
>

> --
> Warm Regards
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Vinayakam Murugan

This is normal behaviour for MailScanner.  In MailScanner.conf you'll find
an option like this "Restart Every = 14400".  As the name suggests this
will cause the child to restart after 14400 seconds (4 hours).

By doing this, MailScanner works around resource leak and DoS type problems.
Julian can explain it much better than I can :)

James
--
Fortune cookies says:
BOFH excuse #303: