Justification for mailscanner.

Miguel Koren OBrien de Lacy miguelk at konsultex.com.br
Tue Mar 2 01:14:01 GMT 2004

Jim;

I'm sure other have replied along these lines to your question but I'll add to this
because I want to reinforce the message. The reason I use open source (Mail Scanner)
and the reason we recommend it and install/configure it for others is:

1) You can use the amount you already budgeted for other good uses like solid hardware
and more profits (or better salaries). Better hardware, usually, reduces costs and
leads to more profits because of the reduced maintenance and all around problems. So
it is in my experience.
2) Having control over you infrastructure is extremely important; you must know what
is running on your infrastructure and how to correct problems.
3) Being able to tweak the code in an emergency is priceless.
4) Implementing MailScanner/Clam is in my opinion as easy as any other solution
(perhaps even easier).
5) All the effort you put into tweaking the configuration is knowledge invested into
the people in the company, making the knowledge base of the company more valuable.

Of course you have to remember that this applies to the mail server only. If you count
Clam it applies to a samba file server too. But for a complete system you need
protection for Windows servers and workstations. That's where the traditional vendors
come in. So if you have a company with a Unix/Linux mail server and Linux/samba file
and print servers you just need to spend a little (or a lot) for the Windows (and Mac)
PCs.

Miguel

--
Konsultex Informatica (http://www.konsultex.com.br)