Justification for mailscanner.

Limmer, Jim JLimmer at CURAGEN.COM
Mon Mar 1 21:35:05 GMT 2004

 My company has budgeted a good amount of money for a spam/virus
filtering email gateway, similar to what I can accomplish with
mailscanner. We've tested a few commercial products, none to our
satisfaction. While we are meeting with their sales staff I typically
jot down each application they are using. It's amazing the amount of
money some of these vendors are charging for what is 99% open source
software. Typically these boxes are running redhat, postfix, sa,
razor... the list goes on. The only proprietary software I see on these
boxes are their web gui front ends, which are typically attractive, but
IMHO - useless.

Anyway, the question was put to me today - how can you justify wanting
to spend valuable man hours building and configuring our own system
based on open source, when we've already budgeted enough money to cover
a commercial solution?

While the simple answers are the ones that make sense to us
technological people

1> open source is good.
2> personal satisfaction of putting your own system together
3> It's just darn cool & techo-geeky.

Unfortunatley, those answers arent going to satisfy the higher ups.

Anyone seen any good articles, or have any comment that may help me put
together a good answer to this?

Thanks,

-Jim