MailScanner vs. SpamKiller

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Mon Mar 1 21:01:52 GMT 2004

Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Nick
>
> I use a imap share folder, then a script (which I've posted several
> times on this list) to pick up the new spam and ham.
>
> and yes my machine is also a mailgateway..
> --
>
> Martin Hepworth
> Snr Systems Administrator
> Solid State Logic
> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>

> Nick Nelson wrote:
>
>> Martin Hepworth wrote:
>>
>>> Without Bayes I'm getting about 95% hit rate, with bayes about 99.5%,
>>> yes bayes really does make that much difference! I'd really suggest you
>>> spend some time to give it the initial 200 instances of spam and ham...
>>

>> If you are using the machine as only a gateway (mail only passes
>> through, never is stored on the server.)
>>
>> What's the best way to train it? I saw a post on the list of a script so
>> that you could just forward spam to a certain address and it'll train
>> it, is that the best way? I'd definitely like to use bayes however not
>> sure of best way since no mail will stay on this server.
>>
>> nick
>>

>> --
>> Nick Nelson
>> www.easyservermanagement.com
>> We Make Server Management Easy!

> the system manager.
>
> This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept
> for the presence of computer viruses and is believed to be clean.

We arent going to manual train either, just doesnt fit the culture here
- asking staff to copy emails to spam folders, its too hard for them.

So i turned on autolearn for bayes, and will start with deleting and
rebuilding ther bayes DB once a month, i believe it was about 3 months
last time before it poisened byond use - combine wiuth the ruledejour
and you're set, will stop a LOT of spam.