bigevil, backhair... STILL confused

Jeff Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Mon Mar 1 16:57:17 GMT 2004

Gang,

  Back in late December there was discussion on the list about
installing and having SA find local rule sets like bigevil.cf, etc.
Bobby Rose offered the following hack to SA.pm to get extra
rulesets to be found:

Before
    $settings{dont_copy_prefs} = 1; # Removes need for home directory
    $prefs = MailScanner::Config::Value('spamassassinprefsfile');
After
    $settings{dont_copy_prefs} = 1; # Removes need for home directory
    $settings{site_rules_filename} = "/etc/mail/spamassassin";
    $prefs = MailScanner::Config::Value('spamassassinprefsfile');

In private emails with Julian, he warned against this hack.  I've
also discovered in the list archives that (maybe) the setting
"SpamAssassin Site Rules Dir" is supposed to handle this.

Well, I have "SpamAssassin Site Rules Dir" defined as
/etc/mail/spamassassin.  In there I have local.cf as a symlink to
/opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf, plus the files
bigevil.cf, backhair.cf, and antidrug.cf.  Without Rose's hack,
the bigevil/backhair/antidrug rules never get touched ("ls -lu")
or used.  Is there some other MailScanner.conf setting I have missed?
Does this work for other people???  Setup: Solaris 9, MS 4.28.1,
SA 2.63.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College