MailScanner vs. SpamKiller

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at LBSLTD.CO.UK
Mon Mar 1 16:28:04 GMT 2004

Hi Max,

I thought I might have been dreaming this so I double-checked it out on
Google:

SpamKiller uses the SpamAssassin engine, see http://www.google.com/url?sa=U
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=9&q=http://www.asapsoftware.com/mcafee
/spamkiller.htm&e=7627>
&start=9&q=http://www.asapsoftware.com/mcafee/spamkiller.htm&e=7627

I'd suggest getting them to do a scan of the local disks of the server
looking for 'bayes*' files - if they exist you'll be able to copy them to
the MailScanner box, and hey presto! - a pre-trained bayes database.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Steve.

-----Original Message-----
From: Max Kipness [mailto:mkipness at GENIANT.COM]
Sent: 01 March 2004 15:55
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: MailScanner vs. SpamKiller

Hi All,

I've been running MailScanner for a while for a few clients. I just signed
on a new client that was using SpamKiller by Mcafee I believe. The main
reason for the service is for queueing their mail when their Exchange server
goes down which it has been every weekend due to scheduled power outages.
However, they are still relying on the Spam and Virus filtration.

The problem is that they decided to turn off SpamKiller the other day, and
started getting spam that they assumed MailScanner would stop. Bottom line
is that when SpamKiller is enabled, they get close to no spam at all. Some
of the samples that they sent me are the very basic couple of lines type of
spam that gets a very low score. Here is what I have running:

SpamAssassin 2.63

ORDB-RBL

spamhaus.org

spamcop.net

dsbl.org

abuseat.org

blitzed.org

Razor2

I'm not doing Bayes at the moment as it seems to be a real hassle doing the
training.

So my question is what can I do to improve the whole system? What tweaks?
Will DCC help out a lot? Are there any better RBLs? Tweaks to SpamAssassin?

Thanks,

Max

the sender and delete the message from your mailbox.

MailScanner (www.mailscanner.info) for the presence of computer viruses.