Bug: install.sh for Solaris

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Wed Jun 30 22:10:59 IST 2004

On Jun 30, 2004, at 9:17 AM, David Lee wrote:

> John: I understand Julian is on holiday this week.  In his absence,
> I'll
> do my best to address the "install.sh for non-Linux" points (as it was
> mainly I who persuaded Julian to do this generalisation of "install.sh"
> from Linux-only to general UN*X).
>
> Firstly, "install.sh" was written for and refined within a Linux
> context
> over a considerable time.  Other OSes do things differently (e.g. no
> RPMs,
> different "/usr/local" conventions and understandings).  So the current
> state of "install.sh" for non-Linux is, not surprisingly, not as well
> refined.

yeah, I understand that.  That's why I was posting it as a bug report
instead of a random and general complaint.  I realize that it's still
rough and I'm hoping my feedback will help it get refined.

> Rather it should probably allow
> arguments to the effect of "./install.sh --perlpath=/foo/bar".

I like that idea.  A lot.  Errors could end with "See ./install.sh
--help" so they could see their options, and then they could assert
settings instead of just turning some tests off.  I like that idea a
lot.

As for Solaris pkgs, I think that would be something entirely parallel.
  A pkg can already internally do tons of things (like what install.sh
is trying to do), so a good pkg would almost be considered a third
distribution type (PRM, TAR, PKG), with the pkg installation script
being a cousin to install.sh.

Though, I do think it's a good idea.  Just saying it should be more
parallel to the install.sh concept than a child of it.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk