SURBL/URI checks - FreeBSD bayes starter Database

Wed Jun 30 15:22:25 IST 2004

Hi Steve,

> I believe this is the result of adding two new SURBL/URI configuration
> files, ab-surbl_uri.cf and ob-surbl_uri.cf to our scanners yesterday.
>
> I installed SURBL/URI checks over a month ago and while they were very
> effective at stopping hard to detect spam, I believe they have become more
> useful as many people around the world contribute to the SURBL databases.
>
> SURBL uses the fact that spammers must include a URL link in their spam
> messages so you can respond to their scam. The SUBL databases contain the
> "spam" domain names contained in these links and use RBL (Real-time Black
> Hole) methodology to check any URLs contained in an email to see if they are
> in the SURBL databases. Real email should not have URLs which direct you to
> a spam or phishing site.

Thanks for your kind words about our project. We just added some more URI
data, new lists are available now and we are betatesting another one
internally.

> This technique will be very difficult for spammers to circumvent and is
> integrated into SpamAssassin 3.0.
>
> To make this easy for all to implement I have packaged the needed files
> along with five configuration files and placed them on our web site along
> complete with installation instructions.
>
> You can pick them up at:
>
>         http://www.fsl.com/support/index.html

You could also put them all in one .cf, no need to split those up. I also
noticed you packed up the bigevil list, that on is obsolete, its merged
into the ws list and the bigevil one will be discontinued. So please dont
distribute that one any longer.

If you like, sign up on the SURBL announce list (lists.surbl.org)

Bye,
Raymond.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk