What's in a name? - "spam" / "not spam"

James Gray james_gray at OCS.COM
Wed Jun 30 12:13:32 IST 2004

Mike Brudenell wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> Someone has just pointed out to me a slight problem with the text used to
> identify spam and non-spam in the "X-Blah-MailScanner-SpamCheck:" header
> when used with an IMAP server...
>
> For spam this heading looks something like this:

>            required 8, BAYES_00 -4.90, BIZ_TLD 0.10)
>
> and for non-spam something like this:

>            required 8, autolearn=spam, BAYES_99 5.40,
>            DATE_IN_PAST_12_24 0.75, ... )

** SNIPPED **

> But choosing words that satisfy this whilst still being clear to users is
> proving trickier than I'd at first thought.

We had exactly the same problem and ditched the whole
  If the message is considered "ham" the header isn't included (the
scores are logged in the mail.log though).

Consequently our users can filter based on the existence (or absence) of
the "X-Spam-Flag" header, regardless of the YES/NO setting.

Drop me a line off-list if you want to see the MailScanner.conf and
languages.conf settings.

Cheers,

James

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk