Mailscanner eating my resources. I just can't fix it. Help!

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Mon Jun 28 15:07:59 IST 2004

Robert Borkowski wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I've been really trying to solve it myself, but I'm really running out of
> ideas.
>
  > If I'll terminate those continuously running processes, all is back to
> normal,otherwise my incoming queue is growing and waiting to be process by
> MailScanner/SpamAssassin. If everything is running normally, my CPU usage
> is 5%. Otherwise, it's up to 97-99%. This happens very randomly, sometimes
> all is fine for an hour and then I still one of perl processes are running
> continuously and the time is growing. System load is +1 then. After a
> while another process will do the same and so on.

Is your system swapping at these moments?

By the way, a system load of 1 is far from being critical.  It only
means that 1 process is waiting for cpu time or I/O.

Having a cpu usage of 99% is normal when MailScanner is processing
messages, on a dedicated MailScanner machine.

You should check the reason for your Spamassassin timeouts I think.

Most of performance problem are related to a system starting to swap,
but with the info you gave us we can't really tell if it is the problem
or not.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk