MailScanner and RHEL 3

List Account lists99 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 24 15:47:03 IST 2004

>From: Marco Obaid <marco at MUW.EDU>
>To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
>Subject: Re: MailScanner and RHEL 3
>Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:33:55 -0500
>
>Hi,
>
> > You'll find that over time, your memory will be
> > eaten up by buffer cache, and your MailScanner/MTA/SpamAssassin/AV
>processes
> > will get pushed into swap.  This makes the performance horrible, because
> > your processors get eaten up by I/O wait.  The only fix at this time is
> > disable swap for your server, then it runs great.
>
>Really? I wonder if your system has enough RAM.
>Anyone else running into this?
>I am not experiencing the above issue. I have 5 RHEL systems processing
>50k+
>messages a day with no glitch. Certinly not your issue above !!!
>
>Marco

I have one gig in the machine, but I've seen reports of people having the
same problem on machines with 8 GB of RAM running other applications.  It
seems to be a common problem with RHEL 3, RH9, and probably other versions.
It also happens on other platforms, such as AMD64.  I'm starting to think
though that it's more related to MySQL, because I run MailWatch on this
server too, which requires MySQL.

a trip to NY

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk