request of list members

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Thu Jun 24 03:57:54 IST 2004

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 05:52 pm, James Gray wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:19 am, Chris wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 June 2004 04:03 pm, James Gray wrote:
> > > As for a rule, just make the following changes to MailScanner.conf:
> > >
> > > - Change "Scanned Modify Subject = yes" to be a rule set, ie, (change
> > > "yes" to "%etc-dir%/rules/subject.scanned.rules")
> > >
> > > - Create the "subject.scanned.rules" file in your rules directory with:
> > > ToOrFrom:    mailscanner at jiscmail.ac.uk    no
> > > ToOrFrom:    default                       yes
> > >
> > > - Restart MailScanner and voila.
> > >
> > > You could even wild card the "jiscmail.ac.uk" domain
> > > (*@*jiscmail.ac.uk) if you wanted to - that's what I've done :)
> >
> > You sure it's this below?
> > Scanned Modify Subject = %etc-dir%/rules/subject.scanned.rules # end
> > Errors on mine.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Chris
>
> Without knowing the error I can only make some general suggestions:
> 1. Is "%etc-dir%" defined at the top of MailScanner.conf?
>
> 2. Did you create the "subject.scanned.rules" file in the correct place?
> (Check where %etc-dir% is pointing)
>
> 3. Is the "subject.scanned.rules" file readable by the MailScanner process?
> Sometimes this isn't root (my boxes use the "mail" user).  If in doubt,
> just "chmod 0644 subject.scanned.rules" will make it world readable.
>
> 4. What error are you getting?
>
> Hope that helps - if not, let us know what error you're getting :)
>
> James
> --
> A bachelor is a selfish, undeserving guy who has cheated some woman out
> of a divorce.
>                 -- Don Quinn

Actually, its a syntax error in line 2 of the said file, but here is what you
asked...

>From MailScanner.conf:
# Rulesets directory containing your ".rules" files
%rules-dir% = /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules

#Scanned Modify Subject = no # end
Scanned Modify Subject = %rules-dir%/subject.scanned.rules # end

Errors:
Jun 23 19:01:37 makeworld MailScanner[85741]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner
version 4.31.6 starting...
Jun 23 19:01:37 makeworld MailScanner[85741]: Syntax error in line 2 of
ruleset file /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules/subject.scanned.rules
Jun 23 19:01:37 makeworld MailScanner[85741]: Aborting due to syntax errors
in /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules/subject.scanned.rules.

Here is subject.scanned.rules
FromOrTo:    mailscanner at jiscmail.ac.uk         no
FromOrTo:    default                            yes

It seems it does not like "yes" in line 2.

Best regards,
Chris

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk