Firewall Ports for MailScanner, need Recommendations/Guidance

lester lasad llasad1 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 21 02:14:42 IST 2004

Fedora Core 1
MailScanner 4.31.6-1
SpamAssassin 2.63

I am starting with a fresh install of fedora,
MailScanner, and Spamassassin.  I am also trying to
use dcc, pyzor, and razor.  Clamav is my virus
scanner. I am having performance issues with my
current config but I believe the performance issues
are do to the firewall.

My main question is, is it absolutely necessary to
have the following ports open on the firewall in order
for MailScanner to work properly with dcc, razor,
pyzor, and clamav:
Razor2 tcp ports 2703 and 7
Pyzor udp port 24441
DCC udp port 6277

Currently I only have port 25 open on the firewall and
right now I am seeing timeouts with DCC and clamav.
To my understanding MailScanner handles updating the
clamav virus defs.  What port is used for this?  The
reason I ask is because when I run "freshclam"
manually it uses port 80, is that the same port that
MailScanner uses to update clamav?

My main concern is security.  If it is not necessary
to open the additional ports I would prefer not to.
But if this is what the standard practice is for
MailScanner users then I would feel more comfortable
going forward after getting some feedback from the
MailScanner community.

Thanks for your time.