Mailscanner marking DOS Attack on 2 different servers

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Fri Jun 18 15:41:10 IST 2004

Randal, Phil wrote:

>MailScanner mailing list wrote:
>

>>>I have two different servers that just started developing problems
>>>with mailscanner marking all inbound and outbound email a denial of
>>>service attack.
>>>
>>>I've been searching the archives trying to figure out what could be
>>>wrong, but can't really find anything. It seems that maybe it's
>>>caused by a timeout on dns, but nothing has changed on these two
>>>servers in many weeks.
>>>
>>>Where else could I start troubleshooting this?
>>>

>>It may be that your virus scanner has packed up.
>>

>Good call!  If you're using a version of McAfee's uvscan which uses scan
>engine 4.1.60 you'll be in trouble with this week's DAT files (4367) and
>later.
>
>Solution is to update to the latest uvscan.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Phil

It's working fine here with engine 4.3.20:
# uvscan --version
Virus Scan for Linux v4.32.0
Copyright (c) 1992-2003 Networks Associates Technology Inc. All rights
reserved.
(408) 988-3832  LICENSED COPY - Nov 27 2003

Scan engine v4.3.20 for Linux.
Virus data file v4367 created Jun 16 2004
Scanning for 92006 viruses, trojans and variants.

We've had reports yesterday of a couple Windows servers that ran an old
version of McAfee that stopped working with the new DAT file.  Upgrading
the McAfee software solved the problem.

Denis

--
   _