Running two mail stores in parallel

Shane Kelly s.kelly at AYRCOLL.AC.UK
Fri Jun 18 10:33:13 IST 2004

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better subject for this ...

        I am about to change our internal mailserver (MS exchange 5.5) to a new IMAP/
webmail setup.
        What I would like to do is run the new server alongside the old one, migrate
users in batches so that when they start using the new server, their email is
available, keeping and using the same email address for each user.

        My current thinking is to use the Archive mail feature of mailscanner for
batches of users, run a separate sendmail queue runner(s) on this archive
that delivers to the new server (or perhaps rsync ?).

        The setup I have at the moment is that there are three small boxes using
mailscanner in front of the Exchange server, but not scanning outgoing mail.
They all use dns to deliver to the Exchange server. The exchange server sends
all outgoing mail to another box that does the scanning and the delivering.

        To (sort of) stay on topic, is the MailScanner Archive feature what I should
be looking at, or can anyone think of anything simpler/better/different?

Thank you for your time.

Shane Kelly
Network Manager
Ayr College