554 this message has already been here

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at FSL.COM
Thu Jun 17 18:49:44 IST 2004

A quick google on "554 this message has already been here" turned up

Question/Problem: I got a message bounced back with the error: this message
has already been here.

Answer/Solution: IMail counts the number of Received From headers in the
message that contain that particular IMail servers hostname to determine if
the message has already been there. If it counts four or more,  it assumes
that the message is in a loop.

You will want to examine the headers to see what machines are involved in
the looping. Also, check any related accounts that have Forward or
auto-response set.

Looks like there might be a mail forwarding loop someplace.

Steve
Stephen Swaney
President
Fortress Systems Ltd.