Help! ....We are taking 120k msgs per day and climbing

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Wed Jun 16 18:47:11 IST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 18:33, Julian Field wrote:
> You seem to have a lot of MRTG processes running. Stop those to start with.
> They shouldn't be hogging CPU like that, something is definitely wrong.

Agreed.  There is a known issue with MailScanner-MRTG causing a problem
with very full (i.e. lots of files) quarantine directories.  Make sure
you are running the clean.quarantine script in /etc/cron.daily (and that
you have changed the disable line in it so it actually runs).

As a workaround you can just set the Quarantine directory in
mailscanner-mrtg.conf to some other (empty) directory.  This means you
don't get those stats, but it stops hosing your system.

The latest (unstable) version of MSMRTG fixes this behavior, but only if
you start with a fairly empty quarantine - such that it can count all
the files on the first run in under about 3 minutes (which is fine for
new MailScanner installs, but not yours - unless you move your existing
quarantine out).  There is a full fix in CVS which will be in the next
release which should solve the whole problem.

Kevin

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000