Help! ....We are taking 120k msgs per day and climbing

Michael Emdy michael at emdy.com
Wed Jun 16 18:07:14 IST 2004

We're having excessively high loads (see below, let me know if anyone wants
to see something else)  even though we have implemented MailScanner now
using the XBL+SBL, and using whitelist/blacklists our volume continues to
grow.  We need to take action to stop the flood of mail, we're getting hit
by every trick in the book it seems but we can only do so much.  The
MailScanner gateway has offloaded and provided protection to our internal MS
Exchange system but at this rate it won't last long either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help us optimize the
Mailscanner gateway or actions we could take to help cut down our volume.

Some questions we have is, should we reject or discard mail at the Sendmail
level or take other actions to bounce mail?

It appears that there are alot of processes in the queue that are fighting
for cpu time, not sure what this is caused by, perhaps it's alot of open
connections waiting for input.

Below i've included detailed info in a text file (to avoid wasting
bandwidth) to paint a picture of our system and maybe you can see a problem
that i don't.

http://www.ewebtricity.net/email-stats.txt

thanks for your help in advance

MTE