Virus epidemic, 11,000 messages waiting!

Garry Glendown garry at GLENDOWN.DE
Tue Jun 15 22:18:57 IST 2004

Max Kipness wrote:

 > 1) I thought that all messages waiting to be processed were in
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming in the various subdirectories. I had a
script that counted the messages there on one of my servers. However on
this server, only 150 are in there. Where are the other 11,000? The last
lines I see in the log say: New Batch Found 11.000 messagins waiting.

Most likely something like /var/spool/mqueue.in ...

 > 2) Does anyone have a script would find email from this certain
person and delete? Or is there anyway not to have MailScanner process at
this point?

You could just do a grep on the q*-files and delete all that fit a
certain pattern, like:

rm `grep MAILER-DAEMON q* | cut -f1 -d: | sort -u`

Then, use a short script to remove all the data files without an
appropriate q*-file ...

-gg

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk