Virus Scanners as a ruleset?

Francesco Rotondo f.rotondo at TESEO.IT
Tue Jun 15 17:45:47 IST 2004

At 18.24 15/06/2004, you wrote:
>IANAL, but in theory you are only using "one" user (root) to scan incoming
>mail, so "in theory" you only need "one" license.
>
>In any case using both ClamAV and BitDefender you should be OK. The other
>alternative would be to run separate processes with separate settings, or
>even separate boxes.
>
>Too much trouble, I would think.

Yes, too much. Antivirus licensing is not a simple matter. User could mean
"machines taking advantages of the scanning" as in Sophos license. I know
that mailscanner only need the command line scanner, but would the
antivirus companies accept that you use a file server license when they all
sells their own mail scanning software? In this case Kaspersky look pretty
cheap.

| Dr. Francesco Rotondo         E-mail: f.rotondo at teseo.it |
| Teseo Internet Provider, Srl                             |
| C.so A. De Gasperi, 344       Web: http://www.teseo.it   |
| 70125 - Bari                  Tel: +39(080)5036970       |
| Italy                         Fax: +39(080)5008672       |

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk