Problem with virus scanning rules

Damien Gy damien at MAILCONCIERGE.NET
Thu Jun 10 15:40:28 IST 2004

Hi all,
we use MailScanner as part of an anti-spam and antivirus service. The
anti-spam part is homemade so we use MailScanner only for the antivirus
scanning. The antivirus scanner is the ClamAV module.
By default we scan everything but we need to let go through unscanned
mails to one system address.
In MailScanner.conf I put :
Virus Scanning = /etc/MailScanner/rules/virus.scanning.rules

and here is the virus.scanning.rules file :
To:     manager at system.net        no
FromOrTo:       default                 yes

If I send a mail to manager at system.net, MailScanner lets it go through
without scanning.
If I send a mail to any other address, for example sales at system.net,
MailScanner scans the email.
Until now it does the job.
But, if I send a mail with several recipients including the system
address I don't want to be scanned, MailScanner doesn't scan anything,
so the other users the mail unscanned! This occurs also with the system
address as bcc:, which is very bad as one can send virus that won't be
scanned without traces. For example :
I send a mail to manager at system.net and sales at system.net. MailScanner
doesn't scan neither the mail for manager at system.net nor the one for
sales at system.net.

What can I do? Is there any rule that can help me? or a special
configuration? Is it a bug in MailScanner?

Thanks in advance,
Damien Gy

P.S. Please excuse the poor english...

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk