Running Mailscanner AFTER sendmail?

Mark Nienberg mark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Thu Jun 10 01:57:03 IST 2004

On 9 Jun 2004 at 17:54, Spam Account wrote:

> Mailscanner and sendmail are on the same system.  This is the only
> email server.
>
> I wish what you say was happening.  However four Mailscanner server at
> four different client sites say otherwise.  The inital sendmail
> process will reject relaying just fine.  However it will not stop
> invalid recipients.  Instead, it accepts the message, Mailscanner
> scans it, and only then is it rejected by the sendmail deliver
> process.

> So if I can make that inital sendmail process check usernames, then
> the problem is solved.

Great, now the problem is defined.  All you have to do is get your initial sendmail to
behave the way it is supposed to and you are set.  Mine does, so what is different?

Are you sure that the only sendmail instances running are those started by the
MailScanner startup script?  If you do "service MailScanner stop" and then "ps -ax |
grep mail" do you see any sendmails?

Here is my sendmail.mc file for you to compare with yours (without the commented
lines):

define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`mail.tippingmar.com')dnl
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)dnl
define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)dnl
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl
define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(redirect)dnl
FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> -o /etc/mail/access.db')dnl
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl
LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`tippingmar.com')dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

Are you using a virtual user table?  If so, do you have an entry in there like
@mydomain.com
which would accept ALL mail addressed to your domain, regardless of user?
--
Mark W. Nienberg, SE
Tipping Mar + associates

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk