Seeing long delays with emails being delivered

Mike Andrews mandrews at FD9NS01.OKLADOT.STATE.OK.US
Wed Jun 9 19:04:56 IST 2004

Jason Williams <jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM>
Sent by: MailScanner mailing list <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
06/09/2004 12:53 PM
Please respond to
MailScanner mailing list <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>

MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
cc

Subject
Re: Seeing long delays with emails being delivered

>Sounds like DNS trouble. Delays can be associated with waiting for your
DNS
>to answer. Do you have a caching nameserver installed?

Ya...definitely a DNS issue. I think the problem is on my internal mail
server for some reason.

Don't have a caching name server setup because I felt that the amount of
traffic we were generating did not warrant a caching name server. So the
mail gateway is just using our ISP's DNS server for queries.

Internal, I setup a private BIND server that serves up private hosts as
well as act as caching name server.

What I noticed just now is that I sent a test email to myself (so it would
just go through the mail server) and it appeared to take a long time for
my
mail client to connect and send the message....

Any recommendations?

Make sure your private BIND server is running and giving reasonable
answers, and that the servers it
uses for recursive queries are answering it.

I see some "dig" commands in your future.

Mike Andrews
Information Security
Technical Services Division
Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation