Seeing long delays with emails being delivered

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Wed Jun 9 18:31:07 IST 2004

Hey everyone. I'm having a very weird thing happening this morning that I
cannot seem to figure out what is going on.

I am running MailScanner 4.29-7 on a FreeBSD server that is acting as our
mail gateway. It includes:

-sendmail 8.12.11
-clamav 0.70
-spamassassin 2.63
-mailwatch 0.51

On our internal network, we have a simple mail server setup for users to
pop their network. I

Up until today, it has been working great. No problems at all. However,
today im seeing some long delays that have me concerned.

Specifically, when incoming mail hits the server, it runs through the
mailscanner, getting checked for viruses and spam. That part goes ok. The
problem I am seeing is that, after the mail goes through the cleansing
process, it is then relayed to the internal mail server. Before, this was
fairly quick, around 4-5 seconds. However, this morning it is taking
anywhere from 25 seconds to 1 minute to be delivered. This is quite a jump
in delay.

The other thing I have noticed is that when we are sending email outbound
(all email sent from the internal mail server goes through the mail gateway
as well) we are getting some delays as well, over a minute at times.

I have restarted sendmail on both servers just to see if that could help,
but so far, no luck.

I'm assuming there could be some kind of DNS issue here, but I wanted to
ask here and keep some suggestions see if anyone had any ideas.

I appreciate the help.

Jason

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk