MTA + AV: opinions?

Jan-Peter Koopmann Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE
Tue Jun 8 22:35:46 IST 2004

On Tuesday, June 08, 2004 7:31 PM Andre Costa wrote:

> Both? Any noticeable impact on performance?

That heavily depends on your machine and what mailload you are expecting. At the moment I am running ClamAV, F-Secure (with all three engines), mcafee and antivir at a customer site without any problem. As soon as BitDefender releases its FreeBSD version I will add it as well. Needless to say I am running SpamAssassin with all sorts of additional rules.

> It's definitely another heavyweight contender, we initially
> considered both (exim still isn't out of the game). I
> remember once trying to configure exim to use procmail, and
> it was much more complicated than I expected, so it left me
> with the impression it was maybe too complex to my needs back
> then. It was sometime ago, so things might have changed in the
> meantime...

Exim is actually quite simple for 90% of the tasks. Try reading and understanding a complex exim config and then have a look at an equivalent sendmail.cf... Unless you are expecting houndred thousands of mails a day I would definately go for exim. The next best choice would be Postfix for me although there seem to be MailScanner issues sometimes...

Regards,
   JP

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk