SpamAssassin Prefs File problem

James Gray james_gray at OCS.COM
Tue Jun 8 03:43:01 IST 2004

Shahid Hussain wrote:
> Thank you for taking your time for kind explanation, you have really nice
> server machine ;)

No problem.

> Our MailScanner system running on:
> 128MB ram, 6GB Hard-Drive, Intel Pentium III (498.34-MHz 686-class CPU) and
> 100Mbit connection. And time-out is set to 50 seconds (SpamAssassin Timeout
> = 50).

Ouch - 128MB is really not enough, even for a dedicated mail gateway
that does nothing other than e-mail.  With the cost of RAM being so low
these days, try upgrading to 512MB - 256 would be "OK" as long as you
tune your setup and disable anything else that's not needed on the
server (DNS/databases/DHCP....anything not needed to process mail).

> MailScanner will process any emails when its received.  I am not too sure if
> it using remote black-lists but I don't have dcc, razor, pyzor plugin
> installed (nor /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf is NOT
> used).  How do I check if it using any remote black-lists?

Turn on the logging.  If you haven't installed Pyzor/Razor, they wont be
used, but SORBS, RFCI etc, may still be in use - set the scores for the
RBL's to zero and that will prevent spamassassin from using them.
Custom scores go in "spam.assassin.prefs.conf" or a customised ".cf"
file in the SpamAssassin site rules directory - the site rules directory
is set in MailScanner.conf.  Read the SpamAssassin::Conf documentation
on how to score rules and/or create your own :)

> Bayes is disabled in MainScanner.conf (Rebuild Bayes Every = 0)

That just prevents the Bayesian database from being rebuilt.  If you
want to disable Bayes you need to add the following line to
spam.assassin.prefs.conf:

use_bayes 0

> I only receive about 10/20 emails every 30-60 minutes and MailScanner is
> doing the job well.  But if I receive an email like 10/20 at the same time
> then MainScanner will acting crazy when I tested with
> http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/

OK - reduce the number of messages in a single batch and/or the size of
a batch (bytes).  Also with that sort of volume, you could get away with
as little as one child - no need to run 5 (default).  You can also
reduce the amount of data that is fed to spamassassin regardless of the
message size: ie, only feed it the first 10kB of a message, this wont
affect the score dramatically, but will reduce the load on your server
noticeably and speed up scanning.  All this has been covered a number of
times in the archives and the MAQ:
Archives: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html
MAQ:      http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/  (specifically section 9.0)

Please research your problems with those two sources :)  Saves your time
waiting for replies and saves bandwidth coz we don't have to say the
same stuff over and over....no offence to you.

Cheers,

James

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk